Monday, June 05, 2006

Good buys

Most of my friends know that I am exceptionally addicted to the color brown, thus, my romantic fascination for wood.

In Japan, many wood-based home thingies abound, and expensive too (probably because woods are imported). Take for example our wooden stool, which is just as simple as something you can sit on -- no artistic whatsoever -- costs 1200yen each. And we bought a pair. It would seem lonely if we buy only one. ;)

Did I just say they are expensive? Well, everyhing here is pricey, so it isn't a surprise anymore, is it? Luckily, in my bazaar hunting and in some SALE days, I chanced upon some good things that I really like, and I can proudly say it is indeed a one good buy.

Take this thing I call a mega mini-drawer. The three layers are so small that I could only probably store pins and other flat things (like my precious lapad, hahaha!). But it doesn't bother me at all of its very limited usability because I am dead happy for its aesthetic beauty and elegance as a desktop ornament. For now, though, I shall be content with it as a flat base for my indoor sword plant (which, by the way, doesn't seem to grow; hmmm, is this a living thing?)

And here's the most recent addition to my sari-saring collection. It is not made of wood, but it is one of my best buys ever. Yeah, it is a plate but I have no intention of using it as one. It is a bit heavy and too beautiful to put your food on it. Its coarse finish just proves that it is made out by some good hands devoting some innate skills to draw a beautiful piece on a very solid material. And I believe this rare piece of artwork deserves its rightful place as a center ornament in my receiving room displayed strategically as a matching accessory to my wood-motiffed and/or wood-based interior design.

I'll show more next time. In the meantime, lure your eyes and envy me. Hahaha! ;)

No comments: