Thursday, January 25, 2007

I spotted a Geisha

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Must have been the best of my luck to spot a Geisha (or geiko in Kyoto dialect) while we were roaming around the narrow roads going somewhere Maruyama-koen and Yasaka-jinja.

I did only one shot. In fact, I stole this shot. And this is the best angle I could get. The Geisha was posing for another photographer (to her left), and I positioned myself to her right, distant from the pro photographer. I was not so sure if the photographer was paying for the shot, so I quickly took my one-second chance to press the shutter. Besides, my memory card was already full and I only had one shot to spare.

Anyway, this was my first time to see a real Geisha. Usually, I only see them in Japanese movies. They look so gentle, and I wonder if they are comfy with their rather elaborate kimonos.

Geishas, for those who are not aware of who they are, work in Japanese teahouses and entertain gentlemen of considerable means or their patrons. Not all young ladies could be one, for it takes talent and skills to master the traditional fan dance, and other forms of visual and performing arts, notably the shamisen performance. According to Lonely Planet Japan (pp. 344, sorry no online link), there are only about 1000 geishas and maikos (apprentice geisha) around, with about 200 found in Kyoto. And this number is ever decreasing.

My research also tells me that not all interested gentlemen can see a performing geisha. First of all, one needs about $3000 to spend an evening with one or two geishas. Secondly, one needs a referral or introduction of an established patron in order to be entertained. Ows, could there be some "exclusivity" in here?

So, if you are a gentleman with some money to spare, and a friend who knows the way, then go for it -- that is, if you are interested in the first place. Better yet, contact Peter for a walking tour.

As for me, I am more than happy to have this single shot. ;)

5 comments:

Kit said...

This blog has a great tone, and one I keep about life as a white chick in Hawaii has a rather similar idea behind it. Would you like to trade links? I'm just getting started, but I think it might be fun to have links to a blog with a different outlook and a similar objective.

Haole If You Hear Me, my journal, is here: http://haoleifyouhear.livejournal.com/

Let me know if you'd like to link up!

Anonymous said...

Hi, you're leading a lovely blog. But one thing in this post worries me. The Geisha in the shot is only an apprentice geisha, that means she's a maiko, not geiko (even in Kyoto).

Best regards,
Aneta

coy-coy said...

hi aneta,

thanks for visiting my blog, although i haven't updated it for quite a time now.

maybe, you're right about the maiko. pardon my innocence, for I am still exploring this great city. sad to say, my exploration is cut short when i go back to my home country. but surely, i will go visit japan again, and who knows, i would have the chance to stay there for a longer time, and thus continue my jap-adventures. ;)

are you in japan now?

Samantha♥Fukuhina said...

Pretty.
Even more depressing is that this isn't a real maiko. She's been dressed in traditional garb by a photographer. They have salons that make-over tourists and take their picture. Sounds like lots of fun, really.
You can tell by her kanzashi, eri, make up, and half-katsura.
But it's a beautiful shot nonetheless! I'm sure she felt like the real thing.

Ning said...

hi, samantha.

so it means i could get to dress up like one and pose for the camera. nice idea huh. i'd like to do it given the chance.

thanks for the praise. ;)