Saturday, April 15, 2006

Spring means cherry blossoms

There is one important thing about Spring that I haven't mentioned in my earlier blog. Well, that's intentional. ;)

In Japan, the start of the SPRING season is marked by the globally-famous sakura and hanami. Sakura is the Japanese cherry blossom characterised by its awesomely pink flowers, a vibrant canopy, and a grandeus sight one could but only marvel in wonder. Hanami (hana=flower), on the other hand, is cherry blossom viewing which is a traditional Japanese way of welcoming the season. Ever wonder how hanami is done? Japan-guide.com has a handful of facts and info about this, and so with the different varieties of cherry trees found throughout Japan.

Many people, Japs and gaijins alike, thus watch out for the forecast on when to best do hanami. Since cherry blossoms normally last for about a week, you don't want to miss your chance, do you? As for me, sad to say (and I mean I AM REALLY SAD! waaahhhhh!!!), I missed this year's hanami. We still have one more spring to go, anyway.

And oh, one more thing. In case you are interested to know the best places for doing hanami in Tokyo, here is a list of the major ones. So you know where to go when you plan for your next year's hanami.

PS: The picture was taken two Springs ago, at the Imperial Palace. My smile is as pink as the cherry blossoms, isn't it? ;)

No comments: